Monday, December 14, 2009

A week in the Serengeti

The Serengeti is a fantastic place to work. While we hash out project logistics on the porch of disease house, herds of buffalo frequently wander through the yard or dwarf mongoose will run from rock pile to rock pile. I have learned so much by being here about the resident wildlife and what it means to do work in this field setting. The little things that I had not even considered have been suddenly brought to my attention, like how does the field team power their laptops when the disease house is not hooked up to the power grid? I found that the guys derive their energy from solar energy during the day and run off of a generator after nightfall. This requires planning in advance for fuel (for the generator) and maintenance of solar panels. Here’s another good question – Which is the most dangerous animal in the Serengeti? Is it the lion, the top predator? Or perhaps the puff adder, a highly venomous snake? I was surprised to hear that the most human deaths are caused by water buffalo! This was most surprising and enlightening. After hearing this “fun fact,” I inferred that buffalo are highly aggressive and reactionary. I resolved that if I was to happen upon one, I should try to put as much distance or barriers between myself and the animal as I could.

As it happened, on my last full day in the park, I was offered a place in the vehicle for one last game drive. I enthusiastically agreed to be ready to leave the next day by 6 AM. That morning Rachel and I got ready to leave our house, but frustratingly, a herd of buffalo had wandered nearby. Exercising caution, we waited for the herd to leave before heading out to the vehicle. Unfortunately, Pete, another game drive passenger, hadn’t heard the buffalo and headed out into the dark morning with his headlamp to fetch us. As he rounded the corner of his abode, he came face to face with a huge black bull! Pete jumped in shock at seeing the huge animal in front of him. The bull snorted and seemed just as surprised to see a person suddenly appear before him. Luckily the big male stood in his tracks, giving Pete time to high tail it back to his house. Honestly, I think if he hadn’t done this, then the buffalo would not have moved on for a long time. Luckily they did and we were all able to rendezvous at the jeep for an incredible game drive. Check out the pics!




No comments: