Saturday, December 5, 2009

The milk here freaks me out


We went to the supermarket to get all of our food for our time in the Serengeti. It was like any super market experience in the US, except that our bill at the end was 475,600 Tanzanian shillings. That’s about $475 US dollars. We bought so much food, and I really don’t know when we’ll really get a chance to eat it all. There was one part that was pretty weird (minus the part where we paid in denominations of thousands) – the milk was sold in sealed up cartons and NOT REFRIGERATED! I couldn’t believe it. It’s got to be okay since people here drink it every day, but I don’t know how delicious it will actually be. You’ll get a full report after I try it.
I have my choice of flying in Frankfurt’s private plane or taking the Land Rover into Seronera (located in the middle of the Serengeti National Park). Although taking the private plane will save me $50 in park fees and get me into Seronera hours earlier, I’m definitely taking the Rover in. From what people have told me, the extra money and time is really worth having such a close ups of all of the wildlife. Rachel and I will be driving with Chunde, one of our field team vaccinators who also came out to Arusha for the TAWIRI conference. Rachel said she’d give me the front seat since it’ll be my first time into the park, which is so nice of her! I’ll try to get online sometime tomorrow so I can post some pictures, but can’t guarantee it. I’m not even sure if I’ll get online tonight to post this entry.

No comments: